Overview and History:
|Jewish Council for Youth Services (JCYS) is a 113-year old, Chicago-based nonprofit providing early childhood education and camping programs to a diverse community across Chicagoland. With a budget of approximately $8 million and a 170-person team, JCYS programs touch over 2,000 families per year in five locations. The JCYS Board of Directors is Chicago’s premier training ground for future civic and philanthropic leaders.
The JCYS mission drives the agency’s daily work: Guided by Jewish values and culture, Jewish Council for Youth Services provides educational and recreational programs for Chicagoland’s children and, through board service, develops the next generation of Jewish civic leaders.
JCYS seeks an experienced Director of Development (DOD) to thoughtfully develop and lead the agency’s comprehensive fundraising program, to include strategy development, prospect identification, donor stewardship, major gift development, annual campaign planning, planned giving, and special events. The DOD, who will report to and collaborate closely with the Chief Executive Officer, will play a critical role in the overall growth of the organization. The ideal candidate will have exceptional leadership qualities with notable experience in annual campaign fundraising, team management, and special events, and possess strong enthusiasm and passion for the organization and its mission.
To apply for this position please send your resume and cover letter to Jamie Perry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required Qualifications, Characteristics and Skill Sets:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years fundraising and/or nonprofit management experience
- Experience and comfort working with high-level donors and philanthropists
- Passion for the JCYS mission and the ability to promote and communicate mission impact to stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; strong public speaking and presentation abilities
- Demonstrated leadership and proven ability to manage effective teams
- Skilled relationship developer with volunteers, prospects and donors
- Knowledge of, and established relationships within the Chicago-area Jewish community
- Goal oriented and data driven with strong follow through
- Strong track record managing a $500,000+ annual campaign
- Comfort working both independently and as part of a senior administrative team
- Proficiency working with business technology, including the Microsoft Office Suite and donor database systems, NeonCRM experience a plus
- Flexibility and willingness to work remotely or on-site
- Create an annual fundraising plan focused on financial growth and sustainability to support the organization’s strategic priorities
- Execute the implementation of all development related strategies and tactics
- Identify, cultivate and pursue enhanced annual, capital, and planned giving opportunities for donors and prospects
- Manage the organization’s donor stewardship program and coordinate the solicitation of major gifts, including corporate sponsorships
- Oversee the planning and implementation of special events, including the Annual Meeting, Golf and Tennis Outing, and the Annual Gala; develop remote or online event options as needed
- Prepare grant proposals and reports for individual donors, philanthropic foundations, and the Board of Directors
- Work collaboratively with the communications team to create cultivation, stewardship and solicitation materials, including direct response programs
- Raise the visibility and public awareness of the organization through engagement and community outreach opportunities
- Work closely with the Board of Directors to support individual and group fundraising goals and promote a close working partnership
- Track donor and foundation data via gift entry, reporting and the maintenance
- Partner with the CEO on all leadership development initiatives, training, and board programming